Sunday, December 21, 2008

Paris, Last Stop Before Home!!!

There is so much to tell you about this past week. We finished up our Trompe L’oeil module and I’m so pleased to tell you I’m excited about what we learned and how we moved through this session. Michel said we did things he’s never asked of his students before. That’s thrilling for me personally. I’ve posted two more panels that I still have work on to complete. I’m happy about them both. Have never painted a face or the upper body and it was wonderful doing it and the feeling of accomplishment when I stepped back and could tell it was a she and her body was in good shape was so rewarding!!

I had dinner with a new French friend. The woman in the Chanel shoes LOL. Her name is Christine and she and I are going to have dinner together again in January the first week I return for the last module. Amazing how small the world is. When she started sharing some of her story with me, I realized we had lived somewhat parallel lives. There was definitely a kindred spirit in her with me and I’m so glad to get to know her.

Saying our Christmas goodbyes in class was bitter sweet and Michel will not be returning in January for the landscape and mural module. He had committed to a huge restoration project in a church. We enjoyed his company.

The love and care we have for each other is a bond you cannot duplicate. It’s one that’s earned and our efforts in the class to succeed and learn as much as possible without going insane is commendable LOL. Our laughter carried us many days as we progressed.

I left class on Friday evening and took the train to Paris. Took a little over four hours, but that was great, since getting to Agen from the airport took over seven hours. I arrived very early in the morning on Saturday and rested a little before my full day Saturday.

The two women I had met at the famous school in Paris came by to pick me up at 11:30 in the morning and they were two of the most fantastic tour guides I could have ever dreamed of having.

Danielle is an Administrative Assistant at the school and works with the Director who is pictured on the blog. Danielle has been taking some classes and has been smitten with art and wants to learn more.

Marielle is an experienced artisan and has worked as an assistant and apprentice with Pierre who is also pictured. She is excited about her new career move in getting to teach at the school starting in January and has been featured on TV a few times doing demonstrations of her original wall treatments. She’s so talented.

Marielle took us around in her 2 horse power Citroen. It’s a classic car and Frenchmen all over were stopping her and talking about her car. See picture. When she drove up to pick me up, I was looking at that car and thinking, “OH MY GOSH, that car is awesome” and then I saw her wave and was thrilled to be getting to ride in it. It was very small inside like our old Volkswagens and reminded me of them years ago, but so much more.

I knew once Danielle arrived and they got inside the car with me, that I was in for a full day as they started pulling out maps and things they were determined for me to see. I have to tell you that them doing this for me and not even knowing me, was one of the most precious gifts I could have received here. They were so selfless and gracious and wouldn’t allow me to even pay for the fuel we consumed. They had a full agenda of what I was going to see and experience while here in Paris LOL.

To have two women who are so into art, to know what to show me and where to take me from an artist's point of view was so incredible. I couldn't have asked for more.

We went to the Eiffel Tower first where I barely got my foot out of the car door and was approached by a young woman asking for money. Fifteen seconds later, I was approached by another one. I asked Marielle and Danielle who they were, as they looked Middle Eastern and they told me they were gypsies. The first question out of their mouths was “do you speak English?” You can tell I’m NOT French with the blonde hair.

We visited and saw so many sights, I cannot possibly remember them all, much less the names and all the history, but will try to recap some of it. We saw The Moulin Rouge. This is the red light district and some of the names of the shops I cannot publish on this blog, they were so graphic.

We saw where Napoleon was buried and some of the statues he erected displaying names of Generals who served him, as well as some of the battles fought and territories conquered.

We went through the tunnel where Princess Di died and also to the Ritz Carlton where she spent her last hours alive.

We spent some time in Reciproque’ shops. These are second hand stores where true designer labels are sold. They were great shops, but still very expensive.

We spent a lot of time in Montmartre where Patrick is approved as an artist and will probably have to wait four years to get a spot there. It was fascinating and wasn’t what I expected. This area of Paris is my favorite so far. It was like a small village environment and there was a famous church at the crest of the hill just to the right of where the artists stay all weekend.

Alot of the artists there were doing chalk renditions of people who approached them to get their faces painted. There was alot of talent in that one spot and it was rewarding.


We had café and chocolate crepe at this wonderful crepery where a young Italian man was playing predominantly American songs and pouring his heart into them. I sat in tears at soaking in this moment and finally some American songs without the French accent to them LOL. He was great and watching his passion over doing what he loved, touched my heart. See picture.

The ambiance of this restaurant and all the small notes posted all over the walls and ceilings were touching, realizing how much history was in this one place and how many people had graced it’s doors. They are famous for their Brittany style crepes, which is where Marielle grew up in France. It is located on the northwest region of France.

We went to this famous restaurant for dinner called Au Pied de Cochon. Cochon translation in English is “pig”. When Marielle told me their signature dish is a pig’s head, I didn’t really believe it, UNTIL, the people next to me ordered such and I was revolted at looking at it LOL. The French do truly eat anything that crawls and do not waste ANY portion of the animal itself. It took us three hours to get served a simple three course meal.

One thing that I love about the French is their love for food and when they eat, it’s an event in itself. They take more than 30 minutes to an hour and a half just to bring you the bill and are in no hurry to serve your food, as they believe you are enjoying the company of each other. One thing that drives me crazy about the French is exactly what I said I love about them LOL. I haven’t fully decided which opinion will be mine ultimately.

In so many ways, Paris reminds me of Manhattan in the feel of the city, except that the buildings are far more exquisite and statuesque. This city is beautiful and has a charm Manhattan doesn’t. The architecture is something to marvel. The shops and close proximity you are when you are in the restaurants, as well as how small the shops and restaurants are, is so reminiscent of NY. Made me long for home!!!

We saw the Christmas lights of buildings and the Champs Elysses. I cannot describe for you how decorative and illustrative these Frenchman celebrate their Christmas. It truly is something that has to be experienced and is as elaborate and beautiful as the city itself.

As I got on line and was typing this, I was looking out my hotel window and watching Paris come alive with lights for the evening and saw the beauty even in the darkness.

I will tell you something, when we were working on the wood graining and marbles in the first module, I made an observation that will stay with me. The most tortured woods and marbles in nature, are in fact, the most beautiful. I hope you can see the beauty in this statement. I know something of this personally and now professionally. I am grateful!!!!!

I’m leaving in the morning and this will be my last blog entry until I return in January. Please be safe, relish the moments with your loved ones and know you are loved . . . MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!

Tammy in France

No comments: