Monday, October 6, 2008

Arrival and First Two Days of Class

HELLO EVERYONE!!!! Welcome to my blog and thank you so much for joining me in this adventure.

First of all, let me say a KUDOS and thank you from the bottom of my heart to my sweet husband Tom, who devoted quite a few hours to get this blog going. He put this together so we could all participate, contribute and enjoy each other as I go through this journey. Thank you honey and may you be blessed by everyone who visits here when you read what is going on with all of us!!!! I LOVE YOU. This wouldn't be happening without you. Your contribution is more than I could ever repay; emotionally, phsyically and spiritually. Thank you, love of my life!!!!

Okay, that put me in tears.

Now, let me get busy with the blog. I arrived this past Thursday evening almost missing my plane in Philly and then almost missing my train in Paris to come to Agen. Both times, I was being looked after by people who were kind, generous and understanding. You'd think with seven hours in between flights and at the train station, that I'd have plenty of time to get things done properly, but no . . .

I have met some incredibly kind and compassionate people on the journey here. The older gentleman I sat beside on the way here literally followed me around like I was his daughter and made sure I got to the right places, at the right time. Tom was happy to hear he was an executive working with professional cycling gear LOL. Babe, I've written him thanking him and if he mentions a discount, I'll get it for you.

I met two gentlemen on the train who treated me like I was their sister, again, helping me, telling me all kinds of things about the people here and how to get around and what to see while here. I am so pleased to have found such nice people in such a far away place.

I attended class on Friday and today and I have to tell you, this is emotional for me as well. I am SO honored to be here in this place, at this time. Not only is this coming naturally for me and I'm getting it, but the teaching and the way Michel is teaching is even more than I experienced in the States. For example, when studying wood graining this past week, the class had to literally study the root system and how it moved in order to understand how graining happens. Today, with the marbling, I understood how marbling occurs. Seeing how it is made by nature is the best way to know how to replicate. Studying in depth like this, is the most eloquent and intensive way to learn and I'm GRATEFUL to be here. Once you get these basics, your mind wraps around what you are trying to do and thus, a beautiful piece begins.

The joy in seeing my friends Michel and Kyoko and the comfort they are giving me is something I cannot put into words. Along with fatigue and thus, an emotional day yesterday, they have held my hand and gotten me tissues to wipe my tears and helped me so much. It's such a blessing to already know and love them both. I don't feel so brave because of this, my personal kudos goes out to all those students who have been here without even knowing the joy of these two people before they arrived. How brave they all have been!

There are five of us in this session. One British girl, Marina, myself and three French; Bridgette, who is married to a policeman here, Maria who is living out of her van during the week until she finds a good place to stay and Patrick, who lives on the south coast of France. Patrick has invited us to go spend a weekend with him at the coast. Excited about that.

The traditions with the French are great to get to see and experience. At lunch, they drink red wine and take an hour and a half for this fiesta. We sit outside in the sun and enjoy each other's company.

I'm only the sixth American student to take the entire course. There have been ten of us all together, but others only took one or two of the three modules. I am honored to be among the six. I can only tell you that I will not come home the same person and the training I'm receiving from Michel is the most comprehensive and joyous training I've had.

The French are thin and yet, eat alot of bread LOL. They close everything down on Sundays to spend time with family. They close down stores and shops at lunchtime all during the week and Saturdays to enjoy their lunchtime. They are SERIOUS about eating LOL.

Going to the grocery store and trying to purchase things to cook in my little 4' kitchen is a challenge unless Kyoko is there to help read the labels. Marina and I both today, were having fun even trying to check out at the register without speaking any French.

I have one TV station that's in English. It's CNN and I cannot tell you how angry I'm getting at what is portrayed on that station LOL. Thus, I'm watching French stations hoping I'll glean something from their language and reading books and spending time skyping and E-mailing. I miss Good Morning America!!

That's all for now. Please add your comments and questions and I'll keep this up as I go along. Anything you want to share is greatly appreciated. Even, what you consider mundane. It means the world to me. Thanks for all your E-mails already and know that you are thought of EVERY day.

Please, out of respect for the others on this blog, do not publish or copy any of this material without written permission from the respective bloggers to ensure our intention of this blog. To enjoy each other, to share, to walk through this together. I care about your lives and I know you care about mine.

With great love and joy - Tammy

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU GO GIRL!! I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU. I AM HEADING TO AUSTRIA ON SUNDAY BUT MY SCHEDULE IS TIGHT AND I CANNOT STOP IN FRANCE LIKE I HOPED. I TRULY BELIEVE EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON, AND YOU POPPED INTO MY LIFE WHEN I NEEDED AN ANGEL.
I LOVE YOU AND AM THINKING ABOUT YOU.
XOXOXOX
MARK

Anonymous said...

YOU GO GIRL!! I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU. I AM HEADING TO AUSTRIA ON SUNDAY BUT MY SCHEDULE IS TIGHT AND I CANNOT STOP IN FRANCE LIKE I HOPED. I TRULY BELIEVE EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON, AND YOU POPPED INTO MY LIFE WHEN I NEEDED AN ANGEL.
I LOVE YOU AND AM THINKING ABOUT YOU.
XOXOXOX
MARK

Anonymous said...

Hey, You! Am so glad that you have arrived safely and are doing so well! Everything sounds wonderful and just what you needed. Amazing when you're aligned with your desires, isn't it.
Will look forward to this blog and your growth.
I have found in traveling that people, no matter where they are, are about as nice to you as you are to them.
You'll be speaking the language before you know it .... can't wait to hear French with your "Southern" flavor! Have found, too, that the people appreciate very much any attempt to speak their language. Always say "Bonjour" and "Merci" and you've got it made.
Best Love
XOXOX
S

smellyrhinostudio said...

Oh Tam Tam Tam!!!
Hooray for finding your inner joy!
So, if you take a FRENCH Fiesta (silly spanish speaking girl), that would be a fete! (pronounced fet)
har har har
Glad you're having fun...quit crying, it messes up your mascara!
Becca from atlanta

Patricia said...

I am soooo proud of what you are doing girlfriend. I have a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes reading your blog because I miss you and you are sooooo far away. I am still in shock with what you are embarking on. What an adventure you have already had. Thanks Tom for setting this all up. You are a gem.
Love you both.

Patricia

Unknown said...

Tammy, I am very proud of you too and am so honored to be part of your blog-friends. Can't wait to read about your adventures.
love,
elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Hey Tammy, YEH!!! You are in France. I can barely believe that you did it, I wonder how you are prossesing this? Remember that space and time are illustions and we are all with you.

So class sounds so wonderful, that you are going so in depth about wood and marble, I feel your excitment. Remember everything so you can teach me.Is kioko by your side translating everything for you and the english woman? Can everyone else hear her or does she keep time with Michel?

I am talking to Lilly tomorrow morning, so I'll e-mail you at night.

Please keep shareing, this is fun, I feel like a part of me is with you.
OXOXOX Beth

Kym Petrie said...

Tam
You are an inspiration and proof that life is driven by intention and love.... So glad that we can enjoy this adventure with you! We all look forward to your blog, and seeing your dreams come to fruition. Sweetie, your art is not just about what you create with a brush and paint...it is the the beauty you weave with your spirit and gentility.

You are always in our thoughts and prayers!
Kym and Ron

Anonymous said...

Tammy-Loved reading your blog...wow girl, you are definitely where you need to be and fitting right in (weewee) :)
I'm loving the long relaxing lunches with a glass of wine...we all should take note and slow down and enjoy life more.

Take in and enjoy every second you have there.

A thought to remember next time you are in the grocery line trying to figure out the French...
"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused." :)
Miss you...Love you,
Shelly :)

Anonymous said...

This is so wonderful. Please be safe and hope you have a wonderful time. Teach us some French too.
Love you and God bless greatly.
Prayer:
Thank You for our many blessings, O Lord. Amen.

Anonymous said...

oops forgot to put my name
your sis Rhonda

Anonymous said...

Tammy,

What can I possibly say? Other than - you will take the country by storm and with much Southern charm and grace! (Already with the DUKES Mayo - next will be either sweet tea or the Clemson Tigers!!) WOW! So proud of you and proud to be a part of a journey that has always been within you - it is just finally the right 'time'!

Love you muchly!
Bob, Susan and Mary Cathryn

Anonymous said...

Tammy!
How awesome to see you and hear your voice today!! Especially since I did not get to see you as you swooshed out of town, taking your sparkly light with you! France is brighter now!

I am so happy for you and love how you went for your dream....if only everyone was so ready for the gifts that fall from heaven!!

Talk to you again soon!

Much love,
Judy

Anonymous said...

Tammy,

This was fun reading. I feel like I've stepped into the new age...me...blogging???? It's a good day when you try something new.
Mark and I had lunch at PF Changs yesterday. I wonder if there's anyway to pack up that delicious soup (lol).
I bet the French are thrilled to have a fireball like you in their country. You get 'em.
Miss seeing that sweet smile.

Sly

Anonymous said...

Tammy,
I am excited to read up on your adventures! I look forward to seeing pics of the your work. Hope you are happy, heatlthy and safe!!
Take Care of you,Mariane

Unknown said...

This is so cool - I feel like we are all there with you! Cab't wait to earn more about France and everything that you are doing!
Let me know if you want me to send you some Sweet Tea vodka - it needs to go global!! haha

Kelly Johnson

Anonymous said...

Tammy,
I was in Michel's class in Atlanta starting with the second group. Stumbled across your blog tonight and will bookmark it to continue following your studies in Agen. How I envy your opportunity to take the full program from him and to spend such an extended time in France. I appreciate all the time you are spending on the blog and am enjoying your descriptions of your life there. I know it must be hard to be away from your husband for so long but you have given yourself a great opportunity. It will be worth it. Tell Michel and Kyoko hello for me.
Allen Monsarrat

Anonymous said...

Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth.

[url=http://www.facebook.com/pages/Abercrombie-Jackets/132361870158377]abercrombie jackets[/url]